Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Interdesigner Software Development
  Visit Comparator Fast today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Source filename vs Target filename (Read 5,443 times)
Jul 30th, 2011 at 1:15pm

OhOh4309   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Quote Quote 
What is the difference between a Source filename and a Target filename? I am trying to do my first scan of duplicate Microsoft Office files. They are sprinkled all over my PC running on Windows 7.

Also, I am using Comparator Fast's software to see how I like it.

Help.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2011 at 1:52am

Daniel   Offline
YaBB Administrator

Quote Quote 
Hello,

You compare a source and target folders. Any subfolders structure is compared as is.

Then you have results based on source and/or target folders. The results are files on source and target folders, under same folder structure.

Repeated Files are different: shows identical files (based on hash calculation) on any folder/subfolder. Only in this case the source and target folder can be the same folder, if you want to check for real repeated files under a specific folder.

Regards,

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2011 at 1:11pm

OhOh4309   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Quote Quote 
Hello,

First, that you Daniel. I am using Comparator Fast’s free version before I buy it. I registered Comparator Fast yesterday and got an ID and password. Still, the bottom right of the screen says in red: “software, using unregistered version” and under that is a blue bar. Slightly to the left  it says ”sort disabled.”

The upshot is that I was unsuccessful in my scanning using Daniel’s suggestions. I experimented with “unresolved,” “repeated,” and “duplicate” to no avail. I also tried the four options under “duplicated by” (e.g., time and CRC).

When I selected “unresolved” or “repeated” on the top task bar, a new screen appeared but nothing happened. Something only happens when I press “start scan” but then I get the same error message about source and target folders being the same.

I don’t know what to do. I just want to find all the files that are exactly the same (e.g., *.doc files). However, I have potential candidates tucked away in different subfolder.

Help. Maybe I need step-by-step instructions.

Sincerely,
OhOh

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2011 at 7:15pm

Daniel   Offline
YaBB Administrator

Quote Quote 
Hello,

Step by step instructions are found in Help. Just go to main menu / Help / Contents.

The error you received is because you try to compare same source and target folders. If you want to check for Repeated Files on that folder, check Search Repeated Files by to other parameter than None. MD5 is recommended but slower because requires one-time hashing of files.

Registrations are NOT based on user / passwords. Where did you got that registration? Only buy licenses at www.interdesigner.com and www.comparatorfast.com; both sites will use secure billing processors on SWREG (preferred), ShareIt or RegNow.

Regards,

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 6:37am

Lopez   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Copper Hill Dr Union, NJ

Quote Quote 
The basic difference between both is that Source filename is based on an active transformation in the mapping while Target filename is based on buffer level.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 5:40am

Brian Fandry   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I am a journalist.
4312 Michigan Ave, Grand Islan

Quote Quote 
Lopez wrote on Sep 17th, 2011 at 6:37am:
The basic difference between both is that Source filename is based on an active transformation in the mapping while Target filename is based on buffer level.

Yes you are right. And Filename extensions can be considered a type of metadata. They are commonly used to imply information about the way data might be stored in the file.

IP Logged