Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Interdesigner Software Development
  Visit Network Clipboard and Viewer today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Available options in Newer files results window (Read 2,133 times)
Apr 8th, 2011 at 12:42am

shaolin   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Quote Quote 
Is there an easier way to compare corresponding files in the Newer tab of the comparison results?

e.g. I would like to perform the same type of data comparison found in the "File Comparator" tool, between one of the files in the Target pane and its corresponding file from the Source.  The problem is that (surprisingly) Comparator Fast does not list the corresponding files in the other pane! This seems like a very obvious oversight. 

It would be useful to display the pair of files that were compared to determine which was Newer and which was Older, so that the user can evaluate them to see if the Newer or Older file has the more important data that needs to be kept.  Currently I have to manually copy and paste the path+filename of each file into the File Comparator tool, and can only compare one file at a time.  This is extremely cumbersome to compare many files.

Unless I am missing something, it would be very useful to be able to compare the file metadata of these files side-by-side, or have a way to directly send their path+filenames to the File Comparator tool.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 2:42pm

Daniel   Offline
YaBB Administrator

Quote Quote 
Hello. Newer files are shown only on proper part: Newer on source or newer on target. That's why you only show one panel, this is by design.  The other panel is not shown to avoid confusions. If you have a newer file on one panel, and want to perform comparison on text files, you may right-click it and choose Tools submenu and then select Text Differences.
If you want to view a binary file, you may use the option Hex Dump of selected file (under Tools submenu when right-click on selected file). If you want to see a binary file on the other side (source/target), just choose Hex dump of file on other side.

If you want to see Properties of both files, right-click on newer file, then hold the SHIFT key on keyboard before click on Properties option on popup menu.

The other panel is not shown because only the really newer panel is needed.

Regards,

IP Logged