Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Interdesigner Software Development
  Network Clipboard and Viewer runs ok with Windows Vista 64bit
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Find Missing Files/Dupes In Different Folders (Read 4,605 times)
Oct 24th, 2008 at 7:28pm

llefrak   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Quote Quote 
  This is a similar request as those that would like CF to find duplicate files in folders that don't have the exact same path.  I have the same problem when looking for missing files and it tells me they are missing just because they are in a different path.  The folder names are the same and all the files within the folders are the same but it tells me they are missing because they are located inside a different parent folder.
  This pretty much makes your program almost useless to use for comparing the contents of different drives unless I retain the exact same file structure on all drives.
  Sigh..... I saw that the requests for looking for duplicates was from back in 2005... that was over 3 years ago....  I dunno.... hopefully I am just using the program wrong but it looks like I am not going to get accurate results unless I repeat the same file structure on all drives.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 12:55pm

Daniel   Offline
YaBB Administrator

Quote Quote 
llefrak wrote on Oct 24th, 2008 at 7:28pm:
 This is a similar request as those that would like CF to find duplicate files in folders that don't have the exact same path.  I have the same problem when looking for missing files and it tells me they are missing just because they are in a different path.  The folder names are the same and all the files within the folders are the same but it tells me they are missing because they are located inside a different parent folder.
 This pretty much makes your program almost useless to use for comparing the contents of different drives unless I retain the exact same file structure on all drives.
 Sigh..... I saw that the requests for looking for duplicates was from back in 2005... that was over 3 years ago....  I dunno.... hopefully I am just using the program wrong but it looks like I am not going to get accurate results unless I repeat the same file structure on all drives.

Hello,

The request you mentioned back on 2005 was attended. Comparator Fast is capable of detect duplicated files no matter folder location. But the concept can't change: if you compare 2 folders, duplicates must respect sub-folder criteria. To avoid this, Comparator Fast can detect "repeated files". Repeated Files are those duplicate files across any path of compared folders / drives. You can choose to detect for repeated files by file name, Size, CRC32 or MD5. Using hash detection (MD5 preferred) allows you to detect for repeated files even with different name.
Many customers detected a lot of repeated documents, sources, music and videos, because they were not only at different folders, also had several files with different names.
The behavior of Comparator Fast is just right, it must report Missing Files if they doesn't exists at the other compared path.

If you want to detect Repeated Files, just use the option available at current release.

Take care,

Daniel

IP Logged