Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Interdesigner Software Development
  Visit Shutdown Manager and Tools today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

CF with remote desktop connection (Read 5,640 times)
Aug 14th, 2007 at 8:42pm

Druidia   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Quote Quote 
Does CF work (i.e., does the license work?) if it's accessed/executed through remote desktop connection?

I'm tired of carrying my laptop so I'm going to set it up so that I can access my home computer (contains CF) from work.  

I know Daniel mentioned before that we can get a license for one other computer (e.g., for a desktop, in addition to the laptop), however, I use several (more than 5) computers at work.  Computers at work are networked so that we can log in to our work accounts on any computer.  I sync my home folders with my work folders.

I'm going to try this out soon but, in case anyone knows, I'd like to get some info beforehand if it's possible to run CF via remote desktop connection.

Thanks.

An afterthought:
Suggestion for the future - Instead of paying for a license to install CF into 1 or 2 computers, please make it possible to just install CF on a portable USB.  That way, it's easier to sync files wherever the user is (i.e., ideal for people who are not limited to using 1 or 2 computers only).

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2007 at 11:36am

Daniel   Offline
YaBB Administrator

Quote Quote 
Druidia wrote on Aug 14th, 2007 at 8:42pm:
Does CF work (i.e., does the license work?) if it's accessed/executed through remote desktop connection?

I'm tired of carrying my laptop so I'm going to set it up so that I can access my home computer (contains CF) from work. 

I know Daniel mentioned before that we can get a license for one other computer (e.g., for a desktop, in addition to the laptop), however, I use several (more than 5) computers at work.  Computers at work are networked so that we can log in to our work accounts on any computer.  I sync my home folders with my work folders.

I'm going to try this out soon but, in case anyone knows, I'd like to get some info beforehand if it's possible to run CF via remote desktop connection.

Thanks.

An afterthought:
Suggestion for the future - Instead of paying for a license to install CF into 1 or 2 computers, please make it possible to just install CF on a portable USB.  That way, it's easier to sync files wherever the user is (i.e., ideal for people who are not limited to using 1 or 2 computers only).

Hello,

Yes, you can use Comparator Fast with Remote Desktop Connection (RDC).

Comparator Fast must be installed on the remote computer, and in your local computer's Remote Desktop Options, just make sure you checked the option Disk Drives at Local Resources tab (to share your local drives with the remote computer).

If you open "My Computer" at remote PC using the RDC's window, you'll see other disks available. For example: if your local computer's (the one you're using to run RDC) name is "WK1" and local computer's drives are C and D, you'll see two more drives under the Other category on the remote computer: "C on WK1" and "D on WK1".

You may browse source and target folders using Comparator Fast, if you choose the folder "Data" at your "C on WK1" disk, Windows will use a network path (called "UNC") to access the "C on WK1" disk, usually the UNC path should be: \\tsclient\C\Data (if you don't like UNC paths, you may use "Map Network Drive" but the best choice is to use UNC paths).

About your suggestion to bring Comparator Fast to Pen Drives, it is already scheduled for a future release.

Comparator Fast's license, as many software programs, is per computer. You may have data on several computers, and just need to install Comparator Fast on your personal computer and may compare folders on different computers across your LAN. For example, you have 5 networked computers (Ethernet, Wireless, etc.) but you work mostly on WK3, you may use Comparator Fast on WK3 to compare and process folders on WK1 against WK2, and so on. For this to work you need to share proper folders (also install "File and Printer Sharing" for Microsoft Networks on your Network Adapter properties) and use UNC paths (or mapped network drives) to compare: \\wk1\folder1  \\wk2\folder1

Comparator Fast is designed to be installed on a single folder, it does not use any other Windows folder (except your own "My Documents" folder for automatic backup of Settings, Logs, etc). You may drag and drop all the Comparator Fast's installation folder (usually "C:\Program Files\Interdesigner Software\Comparator Fast") to your Pen Drive. If you have any issue, you may request a special license for this mode with no extra cost for you.

If you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate contact me.

Have a great day,

Daniel  Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2007 at 1:20pm

Druidia   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Quote Quote 
I haven't tried your instructions yet about using CF when connecting to my remote PC (PC1) that has CF.  Although I do remember trying to execute CF just by double-clicking on its QuickLaunch icon.  I got the not licensed error message.

I have another question:
I access my work PC (PC2) by RDC (tss) when I'm at home.  In this case I can't use CF to synchronize my home and work PC files since CF is not installed in PC2.   Your suggestion to just copy the entire CF folder to my pen drive and get a special license from you is certainly an easier solution.  I'll send you an e-mail to ask for the license.  Thank you so much (I've gotten so dependent on CF to keep my life in order  Grin).

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2007 at 2:27pm

Daniel   Offline
YaBB Administrator

Quote Quote 
Druidia wrote on Sep 13th, 2007 at 1:20pm:
I haven't tried your instructions yet about using CF when connecting to my remote PC (PC1) that has CF.  Although I do remember trying to execute CF just by double-clicking on its QuickLaunch icon.  I got the not licensed error message.

I have another question:
I access my work PC (PC2) by RDC (tss) when I'm at home.  In this case I can't use CF to synchronize my home and work PC files since CF is not installed in PC2.   Your suggestion to just copy the entire CF folder to my pen drive and get a special license from you is certainly an easier solution.  I'll send you an e-mail to ask for the license.  Thank you so much (I've gotten so dependent on CF to keep my life in order  Grin).

Hello,

What you describe is the normal behavior when not licensed. The Quick Launch button should not appear on PC2 unless you installed Comparator Fast at PC2.

Your request for special license was already processed and sent. Also (just for fun) I tried to run RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) to a second computer with no Comparator Fast installation, sharing my local drives. As expected, I was able to run Comparator Fast on the remote PC from my local PC. It appears like a "fresh installation", I mean, no presets, no customized settings, etc, because settings are saved on PC's registry. You may use the Backup settings on your Home PC to create a backup of all your presets and settings. Then you may use the option Restore settings to load previously saved settings of PC1 on PC2 (if you need them, keep in mind all drives letters changed because of using RDC).

Take care,

Daniel  Cheesy

IP Logged